Wednesday, October 31, 2007

still holds true today...

I feel that Carnegie's notion of baiting employees with "positives" hold true for today's society. As much as we would like to deny it, we live in an extremely selfish society. We want the best for us, because if we are happy and content, then we feel that perhaps others around us will become happy and content as well.
The feeling that I get as a manager of a retail location is that these days I can't really call out an employee like I could have maybe 10 years ago. In order to get what I want as a boss, I have to emphasize the good things the employee does(if there are any) and de-emphasize the bad or negative things they do. This is what I call "blowing sunshine". Blowing sunshine is making people feel important in order to get things done. It's not always the right thing to do, but for a manager, it is a very powerful form of self-enlightenment. using others around you to your's and their advantage. I believe this idea holds very true in today's society in which we are all afraid to say what we feel to employees.

md

No comments: