Monday, October 22, 2007

corp. transparency

I give it a 7 just because I've worked with two well known companies, not on the higher end of them by all means, but companies in general are just difficult to manage. I think it's true that the public is best to know, but some things you just shouldn't tell them. Maybe that's my law side coming out. For example, I work for a company who got in a lot of trouble by animal rights activist because they used real fur in their products. I know now that they are "fur free" but in reality, they just changed the definition of what "FUR" really is (with the skin) and still use the animal hair in their products. I think if people who got mad at them in the first place knew about this, they'd be in a lot of deep crap. But the company stays hush hush on it and nothing has been brought up about it... yet. If financially something is going on with a company, however, I think you take it to a different level. Stockholders want to know what they are investing in and since it is their money, they have EVERY right to know everything that is going on behind the scenes. But this is an invester relations job, so I think the information can stay inside the company and not have to be revealed to the public. Ah , I'm confusing myself with what I'm trying to say.

No comments: