Friday, September 28, 2007

Jena 6

The picture of a noose has a negative connotation to me because of past knowledge of what it stands for. Lippmann is correct on that pictures are the surest way of conveying an idea, yet at the same time each individual person has a different feeling towards the picture presented in the blog. Once an individual makes their decision about what the picture means to them, I feel the idea has been fully conveyed. For example, when I look at the picture, I personally think of back in the day when they hung individuals for breaking the law. It is portrayed in several movies and books, for instance "The Crucible". I do not automatically think of slavery and the hardships they faced during those times. The "Jena 6" story is horrible and has obviously offended many individuals, including myself. Due to this story, whenever anyone sees a picture of a noose, their idea of what it means will most likely be directed to the Jena 6 case. The African-American students that were involved in this, I'm sure felt racially targeted and that is something that our society should not allow.

No comments: