Friday, September 28, 2007

I totally feel that Lippmann is correct when he talks about how an idea is not fully conveyed in a picture without us having identified with something in the picture ourselves. I do feel that the situation in Jena is horrible and has obviously created a lot of emotional distraught among not only those directly involved, and not even just those in the black community, but anyone who is offended by such symbols. To be quite honest, whenever I see a picture or any portrayal of a noose, slavery and racial injustice are not the first things to come to my mind. I always picture in my head pirates or witches being hung rather than slaves. But either way, no matter whether or not you are talking about racial issues or something else, anytime a noose is shown, you can be certain of one thing..and that is that of wrongdoing. I'm sure for those African American students involved in the incident, seeing a picture like this, and more so, seeing the real thing, makes them feel as if they are in the same category with others hung, indicating evil or being thieves.

No comments: