Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I think this advertisement conveys multiple messages. First, I think this message is very stereotypical of how society viewed men and women in the 1930's. Women were the homemakers. They cooked, cleaned and maintained the household. So, I think the man is giving a look to the women saying "It's your fault" and "What can you do to solve this problem?" Because of this, in agreement with the previous blog, I feel the woman feels obligated to find a quick fix to keep the man happy and to maintain the upkeep of the house. Therefore, she goes for Draino. It will work quickly and make him happy. Second, going along with the first point, I think this message sends out a view on role play. The man looks as though he doesn't have time to deal with the situation because he is off to work to provide for the family. The woman, on the other hand, has the time to go pick up Draino and have the situation resolved before he comes home.

No comments: